Fire consumes Tyrone home

This house on Senoia Road in Tyrone was a total loss Monday morning. Fire officials say it was likely a heat lamp on the back porch that set the blaze. (Staff photo by Danny Harrison)

This house on Senoia Road in Tyrone was a total loss Monday morning. Fire officials say it was likely a heat lamp on the back porch that set the blaze. (Staff photo by Danny Harrison)

Officials with Fayette County Fire & Emergency Services say fire was already visible from the roof of this house in Tyrone when they arrived. (Photo courtesy of Fayette County Department of Fire & Emergency Services)

Officials with Fayette County Fire & Emergency Services say fire was already visible from the roof of this house in Tyrone when they arrived. (Photo courtesy of Fayette County Department of Fire & Emergency Services)

A home along Senoia Road in the Town of Tyrone was completely consumed by fire Monday morning, but officials with Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services have said the occupants escaped safely and nobody was hurt as a result of the blaze.

Deputy Fire Chief Tom Bartlett said the emergency call was received at 9:37 a.m., and when firefighters arrived on the scene a few minutes later the house was fully involved. He said the four occupants, described as an elderly man, two women and a baby, had safely escaped the house.

A family member on the scene of the fire said several small dogs were trapped and died inside the house. Dogs living outside the house survived.

According to Fire Chief David Scarbrough, the fire may have been started by a heat lamp set on the back deck of the house intended to keep the family’s outdoor dogs warm. He said the dogs were known to have knocked the heat lamp down before, and it may be that they knocked it over again, setting wheat straw alight.

Scarbrough said the blaze apparently moved up the back side of the house and entered the attic before it invaded the living spaces. By that time, he said, a house fire is difficult to knock down.

“It was through the roof when we got here,” Scarbrough said.

Another challenging factor to the fire fight, Scarbrough said, was the fact that the nearest fire hydrant to the burning house was more than 2,000 feet away. Firefighters had to roll out hoses from two trucks to reach the fire with backup water.

Once the blaze got rolling, it also spread to an RV trailer that was parked next to the house.

While firefighters handled the fire, Tyrone Police officers blocked a portion of Senoia Road, partly because the fire hose was stretched along the northbound lane from the Maple Shade subdivision entrance down to the long driveway that leads to the house.

Comments

comments


About

Danny Harrison, a 1992 Fayette High School graduate, began his journalism career with Fayette County News in 1995. After taking several leaves of absence to pursue journalism and Christian ministry opportunities, including a few out of state and overseas, he returned full-time to Fayette County News in August 2014. Harrison earned a bachelor's degree in pastoral ministry in 2009 while serving as a missionary journalist in England and Western Europe.


Fayette Newspapers  - 210 Jeff Davis Place, P.O. Box 96 Fayetteville, GA 30214 - (770) 461-6317